Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bible in a Year - January 1, 2013

I am thrilled to say that 2013 is the year I'll be reading the Bible from beginning to end! Recently I was installed as a deacon at my church, and I've heard the topic come up a few times at diaconate gatherings. When my husband gave me a beautiful new NLT Study Bible for Christmas, I knew this new year was the time to do it! I could feel the Holy Spirit guiding me in that direction as I flipped through the scriptures.

I am using the Old & New method I found online where I'll read an Old Testament Passage and a New Testament passage each day. I look forward to sharing my "journal" here on a daily basis.

On January 1st, I was to read Genesis 1-3 and Matthew 1. That sounds fairly simple, right? Well, it's a Study Bible, and I love history and reading, so I read all the "extra" stuff before I actually read the passages. The history of the OT, the maps, debates on authorship, the councils to decide which books would be used, why, and which offer they should go in. I read about literary character of each book, historical timelines, descriptions of people and places. Then I read the same just for Genesis! Whew! Of course, I read the same thing for the NT and just for Matthew.

Study Bibles also have "themes," and I read 3 for the Genesis assigned reading and 1 for Matthew. I literally spent hours in the Word. I loved every minute.

So, here's what I learned:

Genesis 1-3
I don't guess I ever realized that the command not to eat the fruit of the tree of life was given to Adam before Eve was created. Satan, that sneaky serpent, knew not to go to the person who received the original commandment! No, he went to Eve who heard it second-hand. (That still doesn't excuse her.) I also didn't know that she exaggerated the command in her replies to the serpent. Interesting stuff!

Of course, the blame shifting that occurs when God inquires about the fruit makes me nuts! That part of the story always disappoints me. I can only imagine God's disappointment. It also makes me reflect on my own marriage. Am I like Eve, blaming my sins or marital discord on something else? Something to think about...

Matthew 1
I love this chapter. I knew that Jesus was in the line of David through Mary (as told in Luke), but I had no idea he was also a descendant of David through Joseph as well!

From reading the footnotes, I learned that an engagement in those times was a binding contract that couldn't be broken without a court of law. It makes me think of all the engagements that break up before they make it to the altar. I wonder if people would take engagement (and marriage) more seriously if it were that way now.

I also love that when Joseph suspected Mary of unfaithfulness, he didn't publicly humiliate her. He decided to go quietly to court to end their engagement. What a good man! But of course, before he could, an angel appeared to him. I love that he was a Godly man and had faith as strong as Mary's! He wasn't freaked out, he didn't deny or question what the angel told him.

This makes me think that God really does put thought into the partners He chooses for us! My husband isn't perfect, and the Lord certainly knows that I'm not, but I do feel He led us together and blessed our union. He certainly knew what he was doing when Joseph and Mary were betrothed!

On a separate note, does anyone else marvel at the names in all those genealogy passages? I love trying to read them all aloud! I guess that's in part because I'm a nerd, but I just think all those names are fascinating. Alas...

I didn't want to stop reading yesterday, which bodes well for finishing the Bible in a year!

In Christ,
Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment