Sunday, January 8, 2012

My So-Called Life

I'm writing this blog as a wife, mother, teacher, sister, daughter, and a friend, among other things. But most importantly, I am writing this as a daughter of God.

Perhaps it's just me, but I struggle daily with wanting to do it all. I suspect, however, that I am not the only woman out there who feels this way. I want to be the very best at everything I do, and whether it's perfectionism or just plain exhaustion, the fact that I can't be perfect at everything is frustrating.

I ordered a book on my Kindle and read it all in one day. It was an amazing book, and I felt as though the author was sharing my thoughts. Her struggles are different from mine, but our hearts are very similar. The book is My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife by Sara Horn.

She is a mom and a wife to a Navy Reservist with a passion for women's ministry. She details her "experiment" (her term) of trying to be the Proverbs 31 wife and the blessings and issues that arise from this experiment.

I, like Sara, have looked at the Proverbs 31 wife as a role model, and I've felt as though there is no way on the plant I could ever measure up to her. If she was the perfect wife, then I'm a long way away. Reading that passage left me frustrated and sorry for my husband (and myself, to be totally honest).

If you've ever read that passage and felt frustrated, inadequate, or like a crazy person trying to do it all, then you should read My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife. There are a lot of ideas presented in that book that have shaped my perspective and given me hope.

Through this blog, I hope to chronicle my attempts at being a better wife, mother, teacher, and daughter of God. Sara's book helped me to know that I've got to put my role as God's daughter first, and that becoming better at other things will fall into place more easily, more naturally.

There are also other beautiful verses in the book of Proverbs that I want to incorporate more into my daily life, and I hope to explore those ideas here.

I feel I must put out a disclaimer. I'm not perfect. This blog is not designed to be another testament of the perfect mother and wife.  I am hoping that writing this blog will be cathartic for me, and if you happen to stumble upon it, that you will find some comfort in knowing that perhaps you're not the only one out there struggling to do it all.

So join me in my thinking (and probably sometimes whining), and experience my Proverbs journey with me. I'm training all day. Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment